Sunday, January 6, 2008

books read in 2007

I don't even pretend to be able to keep up with my friend Liz's 50 Book Challenge, but I can say I managed to read 26 books last year. And that doesn't count the reference-type books, such as The Baby Name Wizard, which I feel like I read as if it were a novel. (Really — that book is addictively fascinating!) In looking back over these titles, I remember that I was in the middle of a Maeve Binchy run when I learned about my cancer at the end of August. Scarlet Feather and the few that follow were the ones I read in the hospital and during my recovery. Anyway, here's my list for 2007 — most read for the first time, but a couple of re-reads. If you have a list, too, please let me know in your comments section!

  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, Md.
  • The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
  • Almost French by Sarah Turnbull
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley
  • Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy by David Kirby
  • Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives by Aviva Jill Romm
  • Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik
  • Speaking of Faith by Krista Tippett
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley
  • From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E.Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
  • Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion ed. by Daniel Jones
  • Evening Class by Maeve Binchy
  • Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  • Le Divorce by Diane Johnson
  • Quentins by Maeve Binch
  • Magic Time by Doug Marlette
  • Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott
  • Thin Places: Where Faith Is Affirmed And Hope Dwells by Mary Treacy O'Keefe
  • The Not So Big Life: Making Room for What Really Matters by Sarah Susanka
  • Maybe Baby: 28 Writers Tell the Truth About Skepticism, Infertility, Baby Lust, Childlessness, Ambivalence, and How They Made the Biggest Decision of Their Lives ed. by Lori Leibovich
  • Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer by Jenna Glatzer
  • 5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    My list is not quite as long as yours. Mainly Deathly Hallows, plus I re-read Phoenix and .5 Blood Prince right before reading Deathly Hallows.

    Plus I read a good book called "Listening to Prozac" that I found at a fly-fishing shop near Mt. Hood.

    - Susanne

    LutherLiz said...

    Well, keep in mind that my list is also a product of not having a kid and having a husband in school and therefore always studying. :)

    If you bought the maybe baby book could I borrow it? I've been wanting to read through it.

    Emilie said...

    Liz, I checked it out from the library. (Otherwise you could definitely borrow it - I thought the essays were very interesting!)

    Unknown said...

    Em, my SIL brought a book with her when she visited recently, and it was very funny but also insightful. It's called "I Was a Better Mom Before I Had Kids" by Lori Borgman. You should put it on your list: it's a fast read but has some good laughs and reality-checks about raising kids. Not that I think you need a reality check; you are such a balanced and loving mom!

    Barbara Marincel said...

    Do I ever have a list! (It's on my blog.) Of course my list is the result of having nothing to do BUT read. :)

    How did you like the latest Anne Lamott? It's on my list for this year.