Tuesday, February 20, 2007

books books books

Today, I received a wonderful letter from a dear friend whose love of books has always inspired me. She included her list of books she read in the past year, a list she's been sending for a few years now, and I try to reciprocate. This year's collection formed an impressive library. (I'll add some titles by way of example when I don't have a sleeping boy on my lap preventing me from getting up to get it.) Aah, to have time to just sit back and read. I'm just getting back into that groove, usually catching a few minutes to read in bed before I fall asleep. I'd already been inspired by Liz's 50 Book Challenge, so I've updated my own (much-shorter) list. Here it is: Books I read (or reread) in 2006. It doesn't include the books about baby care that sit on the coffee table, as those are works in progress.

  • Midnight Is A Place by Joan Aiken
  • A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Perfect Madness : Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety by Judith Warner
  • How to Avoid the Mommy Trap: A Roadmap for Sharing Parenting and Making It Work by Julie Shields
  • Wisdom of the Celtic Saints by Edward Sellner
  • SoulTypes: Matching Your Personality and Spiritual Path by Sandra Krebs Hirsh and Jane A.G. Kise
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer and Rhonda Wheeler
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation by Pam England and Rob Horowitz
  • The Scent of God by Beryl Singleton Bissell
  • The Simpler Family by Christine Klein
  • Anne of Green Gables the full, eight-book series by Lucy Maud Montgomery
  • Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
  • The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer by Harvey Karp, MD
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena by Julia Reed

    I'll be keeping my 2007 list in a separate post. If you have a book list to share, please do! I love this stuff.
  • 4 comments:

    LutherLiz said...

    We had a good overlap last year it seemed. I'd love to see your friends list. I'm always looking for more. I just started the Thirteenth Tale too! :)

    Emilie said...

    Yes, Sue ... and I can't wait!

    EDH said...

    I hope you were re-reading Anne of Green Gables and not reading it for the first time!! :)

    Soupy said...

    LOVE the list!!
    I just finished the fourth "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" book -- not sure if you read any of the first three, but they are enjoyable, easy and engaging, and all about friendship. I think you'd enjoy - all 4 of them! :)