Thursday, November 9, 2006

'pick a damn stroller'

Sometimes it takes an outspoken sister to say what needs to be said! This e-mail came from one who shall go unnamed, and if she objects, I will remove this post.
I am sorry to hear you are in such a quandry about strollers. Please...just buy one and stick to it, and don't look back or look at other strollers in stores ever again! We are both very compulsive when it comes to making decisions about what to buy. I'm that way with shoes and coats, believe me, it's not pretty. That's why I love you of course ... Seriously, though — netting or plastic? Book or square folds? Strides or axel bars? Sweet sister, you picked the zippy, so just be happy. I'm only saying this to help push your beautiful, indecisive head back into place. This will come in handy when you decide which school to sent D. to, but for now, let's consider: You might have to hold your arms and step a little differently but you will NOT find the PERFECT stroller. It will not even matter in a year from now and you will survive. Great leaders were once babies in crummy strollers, by today's standards. No lectures, just a sister trying to give loving advice on a silver platter, without you having to ask for it :-D ... Seriously, this will not be an issue when he starts walking, unless you have another kid. Pick a damn stroller.
OK, sis ... I do think there is something to be said for strides and axel bars, but you're right: I do tend to obsess about things like this when I probably would be much more at peace if I just made a decision and let it go! (Of course, we are both Ps, not Js, so this may well be impossible.) For the record, I made up my mind yesterday before I even read this: I'm keeping the Zippy. I'm keeping it for the reasons I chose it in the first place: It's well-built, folds and sets up so easily, and rides well just about everywhere — and there will be times when we use it outdoors, too. (Plus, the thought of selling it makes me sad.) I can avoid kicking the wheels if I walk a straighter line (one foot in front of the other), so I will simply cultivate the supermodel stride.

So there. I'm putting it behind me. Vive la Zippy!

5 comments:

EDH said...

Ha! I should bookmark this and read it when I am indecisive about... oh... anything. Even though I do think that kicking a stroller repeatedly would drive me nuts. ;)

Anyway - good decision, Em! And the Zippy has such a cute name (the most important feature, of course)!

Anonymous said...

Em,
I think it's hilarious that you have enough sisters to allow anonymity in a blog post. And I wholeheartedly agree. If you have two GREAT strollers, fahgeddabout the other 20 really cool ones out there. Focus on something else, like, say, what sorts of sneakers are podiatrist-recommended for when he gets on his feet. Sure, that's four or six or 18 months away (what do I know about baby stages?) but give the stroller saga a rest. I agree, Zippy is a great name. Mas importante.

Soupy said...

LMAO at this! You are so funny! (what is SCARY to me is how much I am like you - obsessive about things - oh boy! HEE HEE)

Good choice, I'm sure the Zippy is wonderful and it's something that D. will enjoy for years!

Barbara Marincel said...

I KNEW it was Ellen as soon as I read your post!!!! (hi Ellen and Susanne!)

BTW, I was the "anonymous" commenter on your Steve & baby post the other day. I don't know why blogger did that to me :(

I wish I had sisters...

LutherLiz said...

Hehehe. Glad you were able to make a decision. It can be tough to make the "perfect" choice because it is impossible. Still, I understand the impulse to make everything perfect as possible.