Friday, July 13, 2007

friday five:: harry potter

Pottermania is in the air! The RevGals have devoted a Friday Five to it ... so play along if you choose, muggles.

1. Which Harry Potter book is your favorite and why?
Ugh - I hate picking favorites. But I think I'd have to say Prisoner of Azkaban. It was the first book that was darker and more fleshed out in terms of the characters and plot development, where I thought to myself, this isn't just for children anymore. I love dark, mysterious Sirius Black. I love sad Prof. Lupin. Subsequent books have been great, too, but I think No. 3 holds a soft spot for me.

2. Which character do you most resemble? Which character would you most like to get to know?
When I was young, I probably resembled Hermione. I was kind of a know-it-all, good-grades, love-the-teacher kind of girl. I'd love to get to know Prof. McGonigle better ... she seems cool under that teacher persona. (Ha. I'm still Hermione!) And of course I'd ache to spend time with Dumbledore, who just seems the essense of all that is wise and good and clever.

3. How careful are you about spoilers?
a) bring 'em on--even if I know the destination, the journey's still good
b) eh, I'd rather not know what happens, but I'm not going to commit Avada Kedavra if someone makes a slip
c) I will sequester myself in a geodesic dome to avoid finding anything out

I'm b, bordering on c. :) I just found out that I am going to Oregon that weekend, so I've planned my flight to give myself time to buy the book beforehand and take it with me. I probably won't get to read on the plane, since Daniel will be on my lap and Steve isn't going (*sob*), so if I hear anyone spill any secrets from the book, I'm going to thwack them!

4. Make one prediction/share one hope about book 7.
My favorite prediction is the one I heard from Liz, so I'll let her share it. I read a prediction that Harry himself might be the final hoarcrux, what with his scar that resonates with Voldemort's vibrations, etc. — I think that could be a possibility. My hope is that Dumbledore isn't really dead and that Snape redeems himself. And that Harry is alive and back with Ginny by the end of the book. Am I asking for too much?!

5. Rowling has said she's not planning any prequels or sequels, but are there characters or storylines (past or future) that you would like to see pursued?
I'd enjoy reading more about when James and Lily Potter were together at Hogwarts with young Snape and Tom Riddle. Oooh ... and maybe some historical fiction about the witches and wizards of medieval times ... the original Slytherin and Griffindor characters.

Eight days to go! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pottermania is in the air! The RevGals have devoted a Friday Five to it ... so play along if you choose, muggles.

Here are Susanne's answers:

1. Which Harry Potter book is your favorite and why?
Boy, that's a tough one! I really liked #6, as you finally learned about Voldemort's past, and why he was able to come back to life. But I also liked the colorful way #5 was written. And #4 was so moving when Harry saw his parents. If I had to choose, I'd say six, but it's tough.

2. Which character do you most resemble?
I'll have to say Luna Lovegood. I always liked her, and can relate to her tendency of unintentionally saying awkward things at awkward moments.

3. How careful are you about spoilers?
a) bring 'em on--even if I know the destination, the journey's still good
b) eh, I'd rather not know what happens, but I'm not going to commit Avada Kedavra if someone makes a slip
c) I will sequester myself in a geodesic dome to avoid finding anything out
Pretty much "c" all the way. In fact, I'm planning to shut myself up all day Saturday (except to pick Emilie up).

4. Make one prediction/share one hope about book 7.
That Snape had killed Dumbledore on his (Dumbledore's) orders; that Draco turns to the good side.

5. Rowling has said she's not planning any prequels or sequels, but are there characters or storylines (past or future) that you would like to see pursued?
I would enjoy knowing the outcome of Hermoine's relationship with her parents. She seems to be slipping more and more away from them. It's not like her parents are bad, like the Durselys. Sometimes I think Hermoine is unfair to them.
Eight days to go! :)

LutherLiz said...

I played over at my blog :)