Thursday, November 15, 2007

wind

Yesterday, I heard Daniel stir from his nap, then cry a little, so I went in and lay down next to him on the bed. The wind was blowing hard outside, and it was making the windowpanes creak and rattle. Whenever there was a loud rattle, Daniel lifted his head as if to look to see what was happening. I whispered to him, "It's just the wind outside, blowing against the house. It won't come inside. You can go back to sleep."

Daniel lay back down, and for a while, all was quiet. Then there was another blast against the windowpane. Daniel didn't move, but I heard his little clear voice say, "Wind." And then he was quiet again, and pretty soon he was breathing deeply and evenly, so I knew he'd fallen back to sleep.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww :)

Anonymous said...

Did he really say the word "wind," or are you being symbolic?

Daniel is both adorable and impressive (with his speaking and animal-sound abilities).

- Susanne

Kerry said...

Sweet.

Anonymous said...

Emilie, that is the sweetest little story.

--Laura d'ECFE

Barbara said...

Oh, what a little darling! And you are a terrific mommy--you said just the right thing. :-)

I haven't been on the computer all week, so here are my catching-up comments:

1. Another boy!!! Funny. I was convinced from the start you would be a girl this time. So much for my intuition! I wonder how much he and Daniel will resemble each other?!

2. Anytime you want to rant about our broken health care system, give me a call. If it wasn't for our astronomical health care expenses, maybe I wouldn't be awake nights worrying about our finances. It makes me so darn angry I'll probably wind up with high blood pressure, which will of course raise our expenses further...Argh!!!

kristine said...

that is too cute!