Tuesday, June 27, 2006

'are you sure you're not having twins?'

I can't tell you how many times I hear this question. My pat answer is usually something like, "Well, the doctor says I'm measuring exactly like I'm supposed to at this stage."

Except ... at our last appointment on Friday, he said I'm measuring about a centimeter bigger than average. (They measure your fundus, which is the area from the bottom to the top of your uterus.) No big deal ... not much at all. But I've also put on nearly 40 pounds. And as I find myself waddling around, and huffing and puffing up and down the stairs to the office bathroom every day, even I'm starting to wonder ... is this going to be a big baby? Steve's family is known for their big Irish heads, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The things people ask. At least I don't have random strangers reaching out to touch my belly!

Anyway, here I am closing in on seven and a half months — 33 weeks, 1 day. Yes, just seven weeks to go! For those who want to compare, you can see earlier pictures here, here, here and here. And just for fun, I've posted a picture of us at Christmas (below). I was just six or seven weeks pregnant then, and we were still keeping it a secret from nearly everyone. (Ah, the nostalgia I'm feeling for those Levi's!)

And while you're reading ... any suggestions for replacing these dreadful drapes? I have been wanting to do something with them (e.g. burn them!) ever since I moved in! Except I don't think they would burn.

3 comments:

Monkeymama said...

You look great! And for gaining 40 lbs your face still looks so thin. I was a big puffy mess by this point. I think people just need to say something sometimes.

Don't be afraid of a big baby - it isn't like you've had a small baby to compare the birth to. As my doctor said, "You aren't going to make a baby that is too big for you to birth." (I don't know if that is true, but it sounded good at the time.)

EDH said...

Is "one centimeter bigger than usual" really worth mentioning?! Wow. I think you look absolutely fantastic, and you really do look so trim. You can't even tell you're pregnant from behind! (I didn't stare at that angle for too long, don't worry!) :)

I can't believe people would say that to you. Wait, yes I can. The things that come out of people's mouths sometimes...

Barbara Marincel said...

"Fundus" sounds like a really dirty word!!

If Irish heads are big, it's because we are stuffed with so many brains we need extra room. :)